Every New Year brings a new opportunity for reflection, redirection, goal setting, and planning. If you love everything about your life exactly the way it is, then this day is nothing more than a page on a calendar. But if there’s anything in your world that could benefit from a new approach or a little tweaking, this is a great time to take a close look at those areas in need of improvement.
We can’t help you very much if these areas involve your love life or your paren’ting goals, but if you’re ready to take control of your career, you’ve come to the right place.
Why You Need to Create a New CV for the New Year
Here are a few of the goals you may have in mind:
1. You’re ready to leave your current position and find a new employer. The New Year is upon us, and if your career could use a boost, now is the perfect time to take action in the same field. You may not be leaving your geographic area, but if you”ve had enough of your current situation and you”ve taken your job and your professional relationships about as far as they’re likely to go, it’s time to head for the door.
2. You’re ready to take a step up the ladder. If you’ve requested a promotion or a raise and you’ve been pushed aside or passed over, don’t just hang your head and go back to your desk. You deserve to be compensated for your dedication and your hard work, and if your current employers can’t provide what you need, it’s time to take your skills elsewhere.
3. You’re out of work and ready to get back into the game and pick up where you left off. If this describes you, it’s time to buckle down and resolve to land a joba good jobby the spring.
4. You’re ready for a reinvention. On average, most people reinvent themselves and restart their careers from scratch at least twice over the course of a lifetime. If you’re thinking of a complete reboot to an entirely different field, now is the time to get moving.
5. You love your job, and you’re happy where you are, but you haven’t updated your CV in years. For someone in your situation, a CV is like an emergency kit or an inflatable lifeboat. You may not need it right now, but it’s a good idea to periodically make sure your lifeline is in good repair, updated, and ready to grab in the event of an unexpected change.
How to Get Started
As you begin creating (or updating) your professional CV, you can start with a basic outline that adheres to accepted business standards. Modern CVs can be organised into several different versions of the same basic model, and the version you choose will reflect your own personal style and the needs of hiring managers in your specific industry.
Visit LiveCareer and review the basic templates and CV samples on the site to get a sense of what polished CVs look like in the age of the digital job search. Then start building your own profile from the ground up, using guidelines, tips, and easy tools that provide valuable support for countless job seekers just like you.